Indian Coast Guard Station Mayabunder, the first CG Station in the North Andaman Islands was commissioned today.
- There is a need for maintaining continuous vigil of this strategically important archipelago (archipelago: a group of islands).
- Coast Guard had initiated several far-reaching measures to augment force levels and manpower to meet existing and future maritime challenges.
- Indian Coast Guard in maintaining a high state of vigil in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands resulting in apprehension of a large number of poachers and saving of precious human lives during search and rescue operations.
- The station is a part of ongoing efforts by the Coast Guard to strengthen Maritime and Coastal Security.
- The implementation of the Coastal Surveillance Network project would be a major milestone in ensuring near gap-free radar surveillance of these Islands.
- The assets based at Mayabunder will help augment patrolling along the Northern Group of Islands for safeguarding Indian maritime interests.
PS: Coast Guard Station Mayabunder will function under the administrative and operational control of the Commander Coast Guard Region (Andaman & Nicobar – AN) through the Commander Coast Guard District Headquarter-9 located at Diglipur.
Evaluate yourself. ANSWER ME!!!
Q: What are the recent measures taken by the INDIAN COAST GUARD to strengthen security in the Indian Ocean Region. Elucidate?